Breakfast – the most important meal of the day and yet, the one we skip the most. We know you won’t want to skip these delicious breakfast recipes because they taste as good as they look! Before we dive into the recipes and how to make these bowls of goodness, let’s repeat some breakfast facts:
- Breakfast should be eaten within 2 hours of waking up
- It gives you energy to start your day right
- Breakfast gives you more strength and endurance to engage in physical activity
Want to receive free recipes in your e-mail? Subscribe now:
1. Gut Friendly Vegan Pancakes
WHAT’S GREAT ABOUT THEM
Buckwheat is a seed related to rhubarb. It has a wonderful nutty flavour and is gluten-free, low GI and high in amino acids, fiber and essential minerals manganese, magnesium, zinc and copper. The fibre is soluble, which helps to reduce blood cholesterol levels and promote bowel health. Buckwheat is also rich in anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant polyphenols like rutin, which helps to reduce blood pressure.
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 6 PANCAKES)
250 ml (8 3/4 fl oz) coconut milk or rice milk
90 g (3 oz) buckwheat flour
25 g (3/4 o z) almond meal or 1 tablespoon of Organic Pea Protein
30 g (1 oz) ground golden flaxseed
4 tablespoons pumpkin seed
4 tablespoons sunflower seed
1 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
60 ml (2 fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon organic maple syrup
½ teaspoon sea salts
Blueberries and maple syrup to serve
Coconut yoghurt optional
- Combine the coconut milk, buckwheat flour, almond meal, flaxseed, baking powder, olive oil, cinnamon, maple and salt.
- Mix in a large bowl until combined.
- Rest for 5 – 10 minutes to allow the flaxseed to expand into the batter. You should have a lovely creamy thick batter – similar to a drop scone.
- Heat a pan with a little coconut oil or olive oil over a low heat.
- Drop in about 2 tablespoons of batter for each pancake.
- Sprinkle over some of the pumpkin and sunflower seeds over the top and cook gently for about 5 minutes on one side.
- Turn the pancake over gently and cook for a further 3 – 5 minutes until the pancake is golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve with blueberries and drizzle with maple syrup if desired.
- Accompany with cashew cream or coconut yoghurt if you like.
Notes & Inspiration
- Serve with banana and blueberries, cashew cream or your choice of yoghurt.
- The batter will keep covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- You may need to add a little more coconut milk or rice milk if the batter is extra thick.
2. SUPERCHARGED SCRAMBLED EGGS
WHAT’S GREAT ABOUT IT
My Super Charged Eggs sustain lean muscle and support digestion and a healthy immune system. Eggs also boost recovery after exercise because they are rich in protein and potassium. My Super Greens Pesto adds life and freshness to this delicious breakfast. It’s rich in chlorophyll that helps to nourish the digestive system, support detoxification and helps to alkalise the body.
3 free-range or organic eggs
1 teaspoon fresh grated turmeric (see notes)
1 teaspoon chia seeds
2 tablespoons organic coconut milk or cream
Pinch sea salt
2 teaspoons cold pressed olive oil
100 g baby spinach leaves
1 tablespoon Super Greens Pesto (see below)
- Whisk eggs, chia turmeric, sea salt and coconut milk in a bowl until combined, then set aside.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of the olive oil into a pan over a low to medium heat.
- Add the spinach and sauté gently for 30 seconds until wilted.
- Remove spinach from the heat.
- Heat a small 20 cm pan over a medium heat with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Pour in the egg mixture and gently stir through until the eggs start to set and become creamy.
- Add the wilted spinach and fold through.
- Serve immediately in the pan with Super Greens Pesto and enjoy.
notes & inspiration
Super Greens Pesto
1 large bunch parsley
1 large bunch basil
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 – 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
4 tablespoons cold pressed olive oil
- Combine the parsley, basil and garlic into a food processor or high performance blender.
- Process until the herbs have been finely chopped.
- Add lemon juice, pepper, salt and olive oil.
- Mix again until you have a lovely green fragrant paste.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Serve eggs with my gluten free Quinoa + Chia Bread
- Use ½ teaspoon powdered turmeric in place of fresh.
- When making the pesto, add 1 chopped avocado.